Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Commissioning, Philippians and citizenship...

Had commissioning service on sunday evening for my role as Churches Together in Dorking Youth Development Director (thats the job title on my job offer, so I'm sticking with it!) Wasn't quite sure what to expect - was kind of hesitant about it all. Despite my love of attention one of my worries was that it wasn't going to be focused enough on God, that there was going to be too much " oooh, this is Jimmy, isnt it great that he's here..." kind of thing. But I dont think this was the case. Was great to have people from many churches coming together, Jammy F did a great talk (one of those that actually seems to get even better the more you think about it!) and think it actually seemed to excite people about the whole set-up and the stuff that we trust God's got in store for us! I particularly appreciated the actual commissioning section where the "steering group" prayed for me. This might sound funny, but it really does "feel good" when large numbers of people are praying for you. (Not sure that "feel good" is the most appropriate phrase - so please understand that in the most helpful way you can think of!)

Have been reading through Philippians over the past few weeks (using Tom Wrights "New Testament... for everyone" book to help) This morning I've been struck by the challenge to live out, and be inspired by, our citizenship in Gods kingdom rather than any other. This of course throws up all kinds of really deep and intriguing questions about what citizenship in Gods kingdom looks like, before we even get to the nitty gritty of the challenge of how practically we can live that out in a society that has a whole host of conflicting motivations driving it! I have no deep insight regarding this at the moment, but hopefully as this sinks further into my conciousness I'll come back to the subject!

And finally, still cant remember where that suitcase illustration (see last post) comes from. I've skimmed through my CS Lewis and Adrian Plass books which were the most likely sources - but no joy. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it - its not important but it's gonna bug me until I find it now!

No comments: